While fall temperatures might have you thinking that summer plans to stick around forever, winter is just around the corner for Selden, NY homeowners. With autumn winding down, it’s time to think about getting your home ready for the upcoming cooler weather. Before the thermometer dips below freezing, prepare your home for chilly days by performing the following fall homeowner’s checklist.
Inside Your Home
When fall and winter temperatures drop, you’ll want to stay warm and toasty inside. Ensure your family’s home comfort by tackling these basic maintenance tasks:
- Seal any leaks around windows and doors with caulk and weather stripping. Leaky doors and windows can drain 20% of your warm indoor air.
- Clean your humidifier tank to prevent bacteria buildup.
- Schedule for a professional furnace and heating system checkup and clean or replace your furnace filters.
- Inspect your wood stove or fireplace. Check the flue to make sure it is clean and free from obstructions or debris. If creosote has built up, have it cleaned by a professional. According to the Center for Disease Control, you should also install a carbon monoxide detector near any indoor furnace or fireplace.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke detector.
Outside Your Home
Winters in Selden can be harsh, and can cause damage to the interior and exterior of your home, so schedule an appointment with XL Brokerage Inc. to review your homeowners insurance coverage. In order to protect your home inside and out, perform these outdoor maintenance tasks:
- Inspect your roof. Check the flashing around chimneys, skylights and pipes, and replace any missing shingles.
- Clear leaves and debris from gutters, and replace any worn or sagging gutters or downspouts.
- Shut off exterior faucet valves. Remove hoses, then drain and store them.
- Remove window screens and install storm windows if necessary.
- Prune branches and trees at least three feet away from your home. Remove fallen leaves and branches from the yard to prevent insect infestations.
Performing seasonal maintenance and repairs will help your home weather inclement temperatures and keep your family comfortable. For more information about how to protect your home and family, contact the Selden, NY insurance experts at XL Brokerage Inc.