I wasn’t at fault for the accident. How do I get my deductible back in Mastic, New York?

Car accidents are frustrating enough, but when they are a result of another driver’s negligence it hardly seems fair that you should have to be out the cost of your deductible to make a claim. If you have been in an accident that was determined to be the fault of the other drive, there may be good news for you – you can get your deductible back.

After a car accident has occurred – whether it is your fault or not – you will have to make a claim through your insurance company to receive compensation for repairs and damage to your car. A deductible will have to be paid in order for the insurance company to process the claim.

If the accident has been determined to be caused by the fault of the other driver/party, you may be able to get your deductible returned to you if your insurance company decides to go through a process known as subrogation. The subrogation process involves having your insurance company – acting on your behalf – try to get compensation or reimbursement for damages from the other party who was involved in the accident.

Your insurance company during the subrogation process will most likely try to get compensation for any damages that have occurred to your car, any medical bills they had to pay out, and occasionally the amount of the deductible that was paid. If the insurance company is successful in receiving compensation from the individual who is at fault, your deductible will be returned to you.

It should be noted that if you choose to have your insurance company go through the subrogation process, you will sign over any and all claims you have over pursuing legal action against the individual who was at fault. You will be giving the insurance company the right to act completely on your behalf in regards to this manner.

Think you may find yourself in a situation like this? If so, it is important that you take the time to give us, your independent agent, and a call. We can help you find auto insurance companies that will make sure you are properly covered against no-fault accidents that may occur in Mastic, New York.

I own a condo in Mastic, NY. How is my policy different?

In addition to the fact that coverage for condos is different from insurance coverage for homes, insurance varies by state, so what applies in one section of the country may not apply in Mastic, New York.

The condo difference

People downsize to condos for various reasons…the first being, lower maintenance costs, and conveniences such as a gardener, landscaper, snow removal, and maintenance and management staff. Some condos offer a gated community with 24/7 security.

Additionally, repairs and maintenance to the building exterior, roof, sidewalks, etc., are covered by funds accrued maintenance fees from each unit owner. The condo association carries a master policies that includes coverage for the common areas of the property and the building’s physical structure. Any damage such as lightening strikes, roof damage from storms, etc., is covered by this policy.

With a condo, you own the condo in the same manner as you would own a home. This differs from a co-op where you only own shares in a corporation, so there’s no deed. However, the condo’s overall policy does not protect your personal property which is why you need condo insurance. Nor does it cover your legal responsibility to other unit owners in case of leaks or damage that you might have caused.

Depending on the condo insurance policy, it may or may not cover internal changes that you might have made to your individual unit. In your condo, you have every right to make customizations without board approval. What is usually required is for you to use a licensed contractor and provide this information to management prior to any work being done. As your independent agent, we encourage you to contact us so we can review specifics in your existing policy and provide you with details.

What happens if my home costs more to rebuild than my homeowner’s insurance provides in Mastic, New York?

Basically, if your home costs more to rebuild than your homeowner’s insurance provides in Mastic, New York, you will either have to pay the extra cost out of pocket or build a less expensive home. When you purchase a homeowners insurance plan, you need to consider how much it will cost to rebuild the structure using today’s materials and today’s prices. If you are worried that you might not be covered, you should speak with an independent agent.

Homeowners insurance in Mastic, New York will cover the structure you live in and your personal possessions. If you have recently made improvements on your home, like installing granite countertops, expensive hardwood floors, or even added an addition, you will want to make sure you have enough coverage in your insurance policy to rebuild if the home was destroyed in a fire, flood or other peril. Our independent agent can look over your current needs and let you know if you have enough protection.

It is important to compare rates and quotes for homeowners insurance when you purchase a policy. You need to know how much it will cost to replace your home, taking into consideration current building materials and inflation. It will cost more to build your home today than it did 20, 30, or 50 years ago. Speaking with knowledgeable independent agent will help answer your questions and ensure you will have the money you need to rebuild and get your life back on track quickly. You will also want to make sure you are covered for all types of disasters. If you are in a flood zone, you may need separate flood insurance. Give us a call and start saving money on your homeowners plan.

How would an above-ground pool or, in-ground pool be insured under the homeowner policy in Mastic, NY?

There are special considerations you need to make when insuring an above-ground or in-ground pool under your homeowners insurance policy in Mastic, New York. Before you purchase the plan, you will need to make sure the provider knows you have an above-ground pool. If you recently installed the pool, you will want to make sure you let your home insurance provider know. Most policies will require an extra "rider" and may also want you to prove you have a fence around the pool for safety.

It will probably cost more money to insure an above-ground pool on your home policy. You should speak with an independent agent to make sure you are covered and you have the safety features you need. Your agent may also be able to find you other discounts to make sure your home insurance is still affordable. An independent agent can compare quotes from several different providers and find a rate that fits into your budget.

Whether you have an above-ground or an in-ground pool on your property, you need to make sure you are properly insured. Not only do you need coverage for the actual pool and equipment, you also need liability protection in the event someone is injured while using your pool – either with or without your permission. If someone trespasses on your property and is injured in the pool, you could still be liable for the damage. You should give us a call today to discuss your homeowner’s insurance needs and make sure you have proper coverage. You do not want to wait until you have a claim before finding out if you are covered by your New York homeowners plan.